Saturday, June 11, 2011

Confetti Rice

Brown rice. Are you as unsure about that as I am? Earlier this year when I first started "watching my weight" (not that it wanted to go anywhere) I discovered that Brown rice is NOT as bad as I had believed. I had some preconceived notion that it was a disgusting wannabe. 


If we're gonna be honest here, which we always are, brown rice does take some getting use to. It is not just white rice of a different color. It's a little bit chewy and takes a while longer to cook. BUT it's versatile and good for you. 

The original recipe is in the Taste of Home Everyday Light Meals cookbook and the Light and Tasty book. Also, the original recipe calls for white rice, but I used brown rice.


Confetti Rice
serves 6 


1 can (14.5 oz.) reduced sodium Chicken Broth
1 c. uncooked Brown Rice
1/4 c. water
1/4 t. Salt
1/4 t. Oregano
1/8 t. Pepper
1/2 c. Diced Red Bell Pepper
1/2 c. Diced Green Pepper
1/2 c. frozen Green Peas, thawed
1 T. minced, fresh Parsley

In a large saucepan combine broth, water, rice, salt, oregano and pepper. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low - still visibly simmering! Cover and cook rice for ~about~ 30 minutes, then stir in peppers. Cook for about another 45-50 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed..

-My rice wasn't simmering the whole time, we turned it ALL the way down and it took over an hour to cook-

Remove from heat, add peas and cover again for about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and serve with a yummy, healthy protein packed main dish, like the Herbed Lime Chicken!

Nutritional Info (altered slightly-brown rice is lower cal and carb):
Cal 120g
trace fat!
Carb 27g
Fib 3g
Prot 4g

This turned out really good for me -EXCEPT- I didn't mince my parsley fine enough... get a good knife.

This was a fun day of cooking because in the early afternoon I met up with my friend Katrina. She just returned home from serving a mission in Thailand and in Texas. We talked mostly about food - what else is there? The different street vendors and shops all sound so interesting! I would love to go to foreign places as a tourist and venture out to try all this awesome cuisine.

Who wants to fund my adventure?

Medium-Grain Brown Rice on FoodistaMedium-Grain Brown Rice

No comments:

Post a Comment