Thursday, June 23, 2011

Mini Berry Cakes

Dieting or not, everybody wants dessert. So why not take a bite and make this cute little cake-like creation? This mini dessert will satisfy the sweet tooth craving without pushing your calorie intake to the limit. It may be quite small but it's jam packed with fruity flavors! YUM!

Also, it gives me a chance to show off some of my new dishes! I got 4 white square snack plates, 4 Mini Trifle dishes, and the Tasting Party Ramekins set, both from Pier1. Mommy loves me.


A few notes about the recipe before I jump in. 
This recipe is courtesy of Diabetic Living  magazine and the BHG Test Kitchen.
The original recipe calls for:
6 6-ounce ramekins or quiche dishes - I used 6 2.75 oz ramekins and halved the recipe. Nutritional info altered.
Fresh berries - I used frozen, then thawed. Fresh would work better and the top would bake more completely.
Eggs - I used Egg Substitute. Nutritional info not altered.
Fat Free Milk - I used 1%. Nutritional info not altered.

Here is the halved recipe. You can obviously double it for the bigger pans.


Mini Berry Cakes
serves 6

Non Stick Cooking Spray
1/4 c. Egg Substitute
1/8 c. Sugar
1/2 t. Vanilla
Dash of Salt
1/2 c. 1% Milk
1/4 c. Flour
1/4 t. Baking Powder
1 1/2 c. Assorted Berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, etc.)

Preheat over (toaster oven!) to 400 degrees.
Place ramekins on baking sheet and spray with non-stick spray.

In small bowl whisk egg and sugar until combined. Add and blend in the vanilla and salt. Whisk in milk until combined and smooth.

Divide berries between dishes and pour batter over the berries. The batter will not completely cover the berries
Bake 20 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown

Mine didn't turn golden brown. As you can see in the picture above, they turned grey. I had to thaw my berries in warm water, and obviously didn't drain them well enough. Too much juice was in the bottom of the ramekins so it blended with the batter and didn't turn out as pretty as planned. But! That's ok. It was yummy.


Nutritional Info (not altered to reflect 1% milk or Egg Substitute):
Cal 70.5
Fat 1
Carb 13
Prot 2.5

No comments:

Post a Comment